Sunday, March 16, 2008

Mommies: Heroes or Slaves?

I'm leaning toward slaves. Wesley, the sweetest little monster in the whole wide world, got a new teacher this month. He promised her a hand knit scarf by who? Yeah, that's right, me. Never mind I'm trying to prevent Single Sock Syndrome. Forget about the blood drive I was helping to co-coordinate. Oh, let's just drop the birthday party fiasco. The promise to deliver 150 pounds of dry dog food to the new Walton Animal Guild (our county's version of a Humane Society)? No problem.

I drop everything to make the very nice teacher a new almost lace scarf in green suede. Thank God, it's simple. I don't know where I read it but it's super simple. It's not really original but it works.



Cast on 16 with size 17.
Knit three rows
Row 4: K3, (YO, K2tog) Repeat until you have three stitches on the end, K3
Row 5: Knit
Repeat 4 and 5 two more times
Knit until you almostget your desired length.
Repeat rows 4 and 5 three times.
Knit three rows.
Cast off.

Voila--easy scarf. Actually now that I look at it, the LB Suede is not as neat as I like. I'll slip the first stitch on the Next Almost Lace Scarf.

But who am I kidding? I love it that Wesley thinks enough of me to be so proud to brag. What a sweetie.

4 comments:

Lil Knitter said...

Thanks for thinking of us..that was so sweet. I hate that the storms did so much damage in Atlanta...that was terrible! It was scary knowing that stuff was heading straight for us. There were, I think, three tornadoes total that made it this far. They got pretty dang close too. Aren't you between us and Atlanta? You probably got a little storm action too didn't you? Thankfully we are
all safe.
Hugs!

Becka said...

How kind of you to knit for your child's teacher! And to do the many other tasks you have!
AND, I'm with you, it's very cool to be asked to knit by your kid!!!
Thanks for the kind words about the "Hope Scarf," too!

Agata said...

He told his teacher that on his own? What a sweetie :) Well, an inconsiderate sweetie, but sadly, all children think their mothers are Superwoman. Let's just hope he doesn't start making promises like this to all the new people in his life (new nurse at pediatrician's office, new school crossing guard, new lunchlady, new priest...) because you'll be knitting those almost lace scarves like there's no tomorrow!

It does look very pretty though - I hope his teacher loved it! Good luck with all the things on your plate (and remember to breathe).

Tally Knits said...

You won 8 stitch markers from my contest at spinknitup.blogspot.com! Just send your address and I'll get those out to you... thanks for playing!

Cute scarf! I love your blog...