Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Pecan Caramel Pralines


I stole this recipe from Southern Living and tweaked it. Regan tried to lick the pot but she would have burned her tongue. Right now, she's fussing at me for it. I'm "Mean Mommy" but I guess the trade off would have been a run to the ER for a burned tongue.

1 stick of butter (of course, butter, what else?)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup of caramel (I used the new caramel chips but next time I'll try the caramel ice cream topping)
3 tsp corn syrup
1/2 cup milk
1 large package of pecan pieces (The SL recipe calls for them being toasted--I was lazy and didn't do it)

Combine the butter, sugars, vanilla, corn syrup, and milk in a heavy saucepan. Mix and melt butter. Make sure the sugars melt. There'll be no graininess when you touch it or taste it. Add caramel and melt. Stir it constantly as it will scorch and stink your kitchen up.

Make your husband or significant other line a cookie sheet with wax paper b/c you'll be stirring the praline mix. When the caramel is melted and there is no grainy sugar bits,remove from heat, add the pecans and mix well. Dump into wax paper and refrigerate to harden. It will not completely harden. You won't be able to cut it like brownies because it's too soft. You can hand out these candies wrapped individually in Saran Wrap.

WARNING: DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD REACH INTO THE PAN (or yourself)! Trust me on this one. It's a very sticky candy. See above picture. Regan had to be hosed down.

1 comment:

Agata said...

That looks and sounds YUM!

Thankfully, my husband hasn't seen this post... pecans are his favs and once he catches wind of this recipe, I'll be in the kitchen over a hot saucepan in no time!