Saturday, November 17, 2007

Kolaches That Dave Only Gets Once A Year

I make these once a year at Christmas. Dave will eat these until they come out of his ears. My mom made these--once again learned from someone in her family. Kolaches are really popular in southeast Texas. My momma's family came from Germany and Poland. According to the dictionary, kolache (also spelled kolace, kolach, or kolacky, from the Czech and Slovak plural koláče) are a type of pastry consisting of fillings ranging from fruits to cheeses inside a bread roll. Some people will argue my family's recipe is not a true kolache. To them, I say, take it up with momma because she will win an argument against anyone.

2 tubes of biscuits (Mom made her biscuits from scratche but I use butter-flavored biscuits)
1 small block of smoked cheddar cheese (or the cheese of your choice)
2 packages of Little Smokey Sausages

Preheat oven according to biscuit package directions. Roll out each biscuit on a floured surface with rolling pin. Place two sausages in middle of flat biscuit and throw a small slice of cheese on top. Wrap the biscuit with the sausage and cheese and pinch the corners to seal.

Bake on cookie sheet according to biscuit packages. Sometimes the cheese oozes out from cracks and bakes onto the cookie sheet and gets crusty. I have to chase Dave out of the kitchen because he sneaks in to eat the cheese. His excuse? My food presentation would be off if he left it alone.

No comments: