Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Homemade Black Bean Soup

I NEVER really follow recipes. I tweak them, patterns and everything. I came across a basic recipe for bean soup and here is my version of it. Warning: It makes a lot so invite friends over or freeze it.

3 tbl butter (of course, the real thing)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cans of black beans (drained)
1 can of diced tomatoes (or you can dice fresh--just make sure you have about 2 cups)
1 cup chicken broth
1 small can tomato paste
Garlic powder to taste
Salt/Pepper
1/2 tsp of Goya seasoning (you can find it in the Latino section of your grocery store)

Melt butter in saucepan and saute onion until brown. Add beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and seasonings. Stir together and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Soup will thicken. Serve with tortillas (My mom makes them from scratch--ooh so good hot with lots of butter) or crackers or cheese on top. My mom said to add diced potatoes and grilled chicken to make a bigger meal out of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum! I'll have to make this - I love bean dishes, esp. this time of year when the weather is turning cold and crisp where we live.

Christy said...

Wonderful! Let me know how it turns out!